Today’s church with the monastery was built between 1892 and 1900 on the site of the previous Capuchin church. It was built by a Franciscan, friar Kalist Heric from plans by Viennese architect Richard Jordan. The building is in Pseudo-Romanesque style and the façade is adorned by two imposing 58-metre towers.
In 1906, Pope Pius X. elevated this pilgrimage church to a minor basilica, which is also explained on the crest on the front of the church. It was the first church elevated on Slovenian soil and even the first in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The church has three naves; only the part on the arched doorway remains of the original murals. The walls of the presbytery were painted in 1965 by Stane Kregar, who also made the three new stained glass windows. The main altar is made of seventeen types of marble and is adorned by a gracious image.
The Franciscans were given control of the church with the monastery in 1864 and still administer it.
Counts and bishops of Maribor are buried in the tomb, including Martin Slomšek (until 1980).